Home > Employment in Finland > Foreign Qualifications in Finland

Foreign Qualifications in Finland

Your Right to Practise a Profession in Finland

Who Can Practise?

Recognition and Comparability of Foreign Qualifications

To use your foreign academic or vocational qualifications in Finland, make sure they are recognised here. The responsible body is the Finnish National Board of Education (FNBE). Recognition of qualifications refers to a decision on the types of eligibility that a foreign qualification provides for a job or a place of study in Finland.

The FNBE can provide statements on foreign vocational qualifications, including information about the level and content of the qualification and the competence provided by the qualification in the country of origin. In providing these statements, the FNBE will essentially compare, where possible, the content of the qualification with the corresponding Finnish qualification.
www.oph.fi > In English > Services > Recognition & international comparability of qualifications

Foreign Degrees & Vocational Qualifications in Finland

Academic Recognition
If you intend to study, higher education and other educational institutions themselves decide on:

Vocational & Professional Recognition
See the Finnish National Board of Education for FAQs and qualifications information including but not limited to:

Healthcare Sector
See the National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health (Valvira) for information on your right to practice as a healthcare professional in Finland. Valvira decides applications for the right to practice where training has been undertaken outside Finland.

Regulated Professions & Competent Authorities

A regulated profession refers to a position for which the law specifies certain qualifications requirements. Regulated professions include both public sector posts and positions and professions requiring professional practice rights. The Finnish National Board of Education web site lists numerous professions, their names in English, Finnish and Swedish, and the Competent Authorities for their regulation as well as links to those authorities.
Example: Advocate / Asianajaja / Advokat / Finnish Bar Association

Related Links