Made in Finland and launched in July 2004, Expat Finland was conceived purely as a free information service to help people get things done in Finland. The site has become a respected and trusted reference source, receiving 1500-2000 visitors per day as of October 2016. It is particularly useful for people moving to Finland or recently arrived who need to access Finnish systems, products and services.
Listings: Are They 'Advertising'?
Expat Finland includes both government and private sector listings. All inform of authorities and reputable groups, companies and organisations providing services commonly required by Expat Finland visitors. All listed companies are researched, and to the best of my knowledge all are trustworthy and provide professional service. If you have a complaint, compliment or comment about any listing please contact me.
As of October 2016 most listings remain free, though the site is gradually being monetised. New private sector listings are subject to a fee in the majority of cases. Government authorities will always be listed free, as will most non-profit organisations.
Adding Your Company
Listings are limited to reputable organisations offering a service directly relevant to the page on which they are shown. This creates a mutually beneficial situation for providers and site visitors. Expat Finland is an attractive medium for reaching a targeted audience, with most visitors arriving from a Google search.
Expat Finland will not promote services related to gambling or 'payday loans'.
Rates: Promotion fees vary significantly according to format, placement, length of publishing period and other factors. Please contact Expat Finland for a customised proposal.
More information: Please first view the Presentation, then email or telephone during Finnish business hours if Expat Finland sounds right for you.
Stuart Allt, Phone: +358 50 4099 785
Expat Finland, www.expat-finland.com is owned and operated by
Stuart Allt Web Design, Y-tunnus: 1771763-0
Recent Facts and Figures
- Over 500,000 visitors, about 400,000 unique
- Approximately 85% of visitors arrived from an organic search, about 96% of those being from Google
- Approximately 13% arrived 'direct' i.e. from a bookmark or typing the address into their browser
- 'Average Time on Page' of 2½ - 5 minutes.
Expat Finland V 2.013: In July 2013 a completely new version of the site was launched, providing a better experience for visitors. Primary changes were:
- Responsive Web Design. Content re-sizes to fit devices from smartphones to desktops. Mobile traffic to Expat Finland has since increased dramatically
- Google advertisements were removed as they were often irrelevant to page content, so of little help to visitors
- A companion Facebook page was launched, replacing email newsletters. It includes topical content and Tips for Finland
In the Press: In August 2013, following Expat Finland's exclusive publication of Fingerpori in English the site was featured in Helsingin Sanomat's Culture section along with an interview with Fingerpori comic strip creator, Pertti Jarla. Expat Finland 'went viral' and for some weeks received about 30,000 visits per day. See article (Finnish)
- February: a Google+ page was launched. Similar to the Facebook page, increasing access to Expat Finland
- February: A new mobile version was released, improving the user experience on smartphones
- January: Mobile usability upgrade. The percentage of traffic on mobile devices has increased from 12% in January 2014 to 35% in July 2015.
- February: Comprehensive menu and page layout upgrade. Expanded footer added, with important links to Finnish information and government sites.
- May: Revision of all page titles and descriptions in accordance with latest Google standards.
'Star Tag' Some of the listed companies and organisations have been asked for financial support. Few have agreed, but the support of those few is much appreciated. They receive little extra benefit - they may move up in a list or get a longer service description, for example - but their support makes maintenance and development of Expat Finland possible.
The 'Star tag' does not indicate a service rating. If you choose to support those companies, you will also be helping to support Expat Finland.
'Helpful Tag' Indicates that when contacted by Expat Finland the response has been particularly friendly, courteous and/or helpful.
'Unhelpful Tag' Indicates that when contacted by Expat Finland the response has been unusually aggressive, discourteous, obstructive and/or dismissive. Correspondence and/or records have been maintained in the case of B2B matters.
'Mercenary Tag' Indicates that although the organisation is believed to provide a professional service to clients, Expat Finland has encountered a ruthless approach primarily concerned with making money at the expense of other considerations. Correspondence and/or records have been maintained in the case of B2B matters.
'Triangle Tag' Indicates that although the organisation is believed to provide a professional service to clients, Expat Finland has perceived a lack of integrity or ethics such as deceptive online practices, failure to fulfil agreements, or similar. Correspondence and/or records have been maintained in the case of B2B matters.
More information: Expat Finland Site Presentation