Local Public Transport in Finland
- Jump Down to:
- Helsinki Region Transport & Tickets
- City by City - Public Transport
- Local Ferries Finland-wide
- Suomenlinna Ferry
- Related Links
This page refers to Finnish public transport in Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa, Hämeenlinna, Joensuu, Jyväskylä, Kajaani, Kotka, Kuopio, Lahti, Lappeenranta, Mikkeli, Oulu, Pori, Rauma, Riihimäki, Rovaniemi, Savonlinna, Seinäjoki, Tampere, Turku, Vaasa and more
Finnish public transport is generally efficient, reliable, safe and on time. In my experience, getting around any town by public transport is manageable without fuss, and pretty quickly, even for a foreign visitor. For regular passengers, travel cards of various types such as Value tickets, Season tickets and Connection passes can significantly reduce transport costs; consult the local authority for details.
Useful words / phrases
- Aikataulut - Timetables
- Kartat - Maps
- Liput - Tickets
- Hinnat - Prices
- Kaukoliikenne - Inter-city
- Juhlapyhäliikenne - Sundays and holidays
- Pikavuorot - Express service
- Satama - Port / Harbour
- Lentoasema - Airport
- Rautatieasema - Railway station
- Linja-autoasema - Bus station
- Katajanokka, Eteläsatama, Kanavaterminaali,
Names of passenger terminals in Helsinki for ships to Sweden and Estonia
- Aikuinen - Adult
- Opiskelija - Student
- Reitti - Route
- Lähtöpaikka - Point of departure
- Pysäkki - Bus stop
- Määräpaikka - Destination
- Kaikki päivät - Every day
- Hae - Search
- See also: Finnish > English > Finnish Dictionary
Helsinki boasts a network of trains, buses, trams and an underground which make a car almost redundant. Helsinki, Espoo, Kauniainen, Vantaa, Kerava, Kirkkonummi and Sipoo have an integrated public transport ticket system:
- Helsinki region tickets are valid on buses, trams, the Metro, commuter trains and Suomenlinna ferry
- You can also transfer from one vehicle to another with the same ticket
- The price of a ticket depends on whether you travel within one municipality or between municipalities.
- Children’s tickets are for children aged 7-16 years; children under 7 travel free of charge
- Pensioners receiving national pension, full-time students and disabled persons are entitled to reduced rate tickets
Helsinki Region Transport www.hsl.fi - Fi, En, Sw Timetables & routes, Tickets & fares, Travel cards, Passenger guide
Helsinki Region Journey Planner www.reittiopas.fi - Fi, En, Ru, Sw Point to Point Route Search, Timetables & stops, Route map, Cycling & walking, Traffic bulletins
Helsinki Taxis www.taksihelsinki.fi Ph: 0100 0700
Most towns have their own web sites with timetables, prices and other public transport information. A feature at many sites is a Reittiopas - Journey Planner; you enter the addresses of your origin and destination, and either your departure time or required arrival time, and the Journey Planner will provide you with options for making the trip. Results include walking distance, bus stop or train station names and numbers, connection information and more - fantastic!
Finland-wide Journey Planner
The Finnish Transport Agency provides a point-to-point local and long-distance journey planner for Finland. Results include flights as well as rail and bus connections, and walking routes. You can save your regular routes for later searches. The service also includes local transport connections for 21 cities.
www.journey.fi - En, Sw, Fi
Public Transport Sites, Route Planners and Taxi Phone Numbers
If your city is not listed below type www.yourcity.fi (ex. www.pori.fi ) in the address bar of your browser.
Most sites, including the Journey Planners, work well at Google Translate.
Taxi booking phone numbers may entail a charge per minute. Consult sites for details
Finland's ferry authority is Finferries, with over 40 routes Finland-wide. Most services are conducted by cable ferries, for which a cable is attached from one shore to the other, and the ferry pulled along the cable. Bigger vessels are freely navigating ferry-boats, the largest of which carries nearly 60 cars.
The Finferries web site includes ferry locations by listing and on the map, online ferry schedules, downloadable ferry timetables, traffic information, and terms of transportation:
Finferries www.finferries.fi - En, Fi, Sw
The Helsinki-Suomenlinna ferry is operated by the Helsinki Regional Transport Authority. Regular public transport tickets - city and regional - are valid on Suomenlinna ferries, with numerous Market Square - Suomenlinna - Market Square crossings daily. Besides the usual outlets for buying public transport tickets, Suomenlinna Ferry tickets are available from machines on the piers. Bicycles can be taken on board for an additional charge.
Suomenlinna Ferry www.hsl.fi > In English > Timetables & Routes > Search Suomenlinna in Timetables
- Finnish Transport Agency: Transport information and road, traffic & weather conditions in Finland
- Car Hire / Rental: Expat Finland's listing of car & other vehicle hire / rental companies
- Yellow Line www.airporttaxi.fi: Airport taxis can be an economical option for travelling to/from Helsinki-Vantaa Airport
- Maps of Finland: Finnish maps. Searchable, printable. More 'local knowledge' than Google Maps but slightly harder to use!
- ViaMichelin: Europe-wide route planner, maps, tourist information, hotels and restaurants