Finnish Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment: Employment Service
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment employment services are abbreviated to TE-Services throughout Expat Finland.
- Services for Job Seekers and Employers
- Employment Search - Job Vacancies
- If You Become Unemployed
- Related Links
The TE Employment Service operates online through Job Market Finland and through TE Offices of which there are over 120 throughout Finland.
Services are offered to the unemployed, those entering working life or currently working, as well as employers and entrepreneurs. Guidance Services are available in English, Finnish, Swedish, and limited Russian.
Employment Services for Job Seekers
Employment offices offer appointments for individual job seekers, as well as online services job seekers can use on their own. These include
- Register as a job seeker
- Create a job application profile
- Guides for immigrants
- Labour market training
- Vocational guidance and career planning
- Job Market Finland tyomarkkinatori.fi/en/personal-customer
TE telephone services
Free guidance for personal customers, and information about TE Offices and services.
English Tel: 0295 020 713
Russian Tel: 0295 020 715
Employer & Entrepreneur Services
Services are also offered to employers including
- Advertise a job vacancy
- Recruitment, training, consultation and development services
- Information on grants
- Job Market Finland tyomarkkinatori.fi/en/employers-and-entrepreneurs
Telephone Service for Employers
Tel: 0295 020 502
You can also submit a contact request to Enterprise Finland for information about employer services in Finland.
Contact Information for TE Offices
Contacts for all offices can be found at
toimistot.te-palvelut.fi Finnish only
Thousands of jobs are listed are listed at Job Market Finland - interface available in English, Finnish and Swedish:
Job Market Finland: tyomarkkinatori.fi/en/personal-customers/vacancies
You can also search the TE Offices jobs service, where you can subscribe to email notifications on open jobs. Finnish & Swedish only:
TE Offices Vacancies: paikat.te-palvelut.fi/tpt/
Note: Vacancies published in Finnish-only almost certainly require the successful applicant to speak Finnish.
Finnish to English translations work well in Chrome browser (How?).
Translate in Chrome
Desktop: Right-click anywhere on a page and click Translate to [Language].
iPhone / iPad: At bottom of screen, tap Translate.
Android: At bottom of screen select Language, tap Translate.
Alternatively use Google Translate.
See also: EURES, the European Job Mobility Portal
If you become unemployed you should immediately register as an unemployed job seeker and start an official job search. You can then apply for unemployment security from Kela or your unemployment fund. As a job seeker, you receive close support from TE Offices from the beginning of your job search.
Briefly, conditions for receiving Basic Unemployment Allowance are that you have been employed for at least 26 weeks during the 28 months preceding unemployment, are 17-64 years of age, fit for work, seeking a full-time job, and registered as a job seeker. The waiting period, during which unemployment benefit is not paid only begins after your have registered your job search. See Kela for details.
Entrepreneurs: A self-employed person may have to terminate business operations to receive earnings-related allowances or other unemployment benefits. However if you are unemployed and already receiving benefits, you can undertake self-employment and continue receiving unemployment benefits which will be adjusted in line with any income you receive from self-employment.
Registration as a Job Seeker
You can easily register as an unemployed job seeker in the E-services of TE services. Online banking codes or a personal identity card with a chip are required to access the system.
- Your job-search will be valid for 14 days from the date you register
- You should also register if you have just completed a period of labour market training or employment subsidy
- If you know you will become unemployed, you can register before your period of unemployment begins
- If you are unable to complete the process online you should immediately visit a TE office in person, and take the following form:
Suomi.fi Search 'Form for job seekers registering with the Employment and Economic Development Office'
As a job seeker registered with an employment office, you
- will be taken into consideration when candidates are searched for job vacancies
- can utilise the employment services
- can start applying for unemployment security
TE Office advisors can discuss your skills and employment possibilities. You can tell the advisor what kind of work or training you are interested in, and go through the job-search process. Advisors can draft a job-search plan for you. Apart from job vacancies, your advisor will be able to tell you about other options available to you; these may include work experience placements, work try-outs, subsidised employment, work on combined subsidies, or even apprenticeship contracts.
When visiting an employment office remember to take:
- Employment references (all references from your work career, and if you are still employed, a temporary reference or your employment contract)
- Proof of being laid off, if applicable
- All educational qualifications (certificates etc. - see
Qualifications in Finland)
- if you are still studying, please bring a certificate specifying the starting date and scope of your studies
- Proof of having completed the Finnish national military service or non-military service, if applicable
- Your passport or a certificate of your passport being held by the authorities as well as your work and residence permits (applies to immigrants only)
- Any results of applications for student admission under the joint application system (applies to under-25s only)
Unemployment Allowance & Waiting Period:
Unemployment Allowance is administered by Kela, the Social Insurance Institution of Finland. For details of waiting periods, application procedures and more, see the following Kela pages:
Basic unemployment allowance
How to apply
Amount and payment
Tap the Share button
Tap Add to Home Screen
Name the shortcut, tap Add
Tap the Menu button
Tap Add to Home Screen
Name the shortcut, tap Submit