Importing to Finland & Customs Duties
- Importation of Personal Belongings & Household Effects
- Importation of Motor Vehicles
- Importation of Pets
- International Pet Shipping
- Related Links
This page is a summary only and there are exceptions to the below conditions. Please visit the Finnish Customs (Tulli) site for detailed information on declaring goods, online purchasing, travelling, moving to / from Finland, gifts, and more.
Importation of Personal Belongings & Household Effects to Finland
From EU countries
When a person moves to Finland from another EU country, his or her personal property is, with certain exceptions, admitted free of taxes and other restrictions applied to importation. For example, VAT is collected on a new means of transport, if the vehicle has been acquired for use in Finland and if the other prerequisites for tax levy are met. Restrictions are imposed by prohibitions justified by e.g. public morality, public policy or public security, or the protection of health of animals or plants.
From Non-EU countries
When a person moves to Finland from outside the EU, the EU Regulation on relief from customs duty and the Finnish Value Added Tax Act are applied to the removal goods. By virtue of these statutes, the personal property, i.e. the removal goods, of an immigrant arriving from outside the EU may be exempted from customs duty and VAT on the following conditions:
- Relief from customs duty on removal goods may be granted to persons whose permanent place of residence has been outside the EU for at least 12 months. In justified special cases, if applied for in advance, the National Board of Customs may grant an exception to this rule if the intention of the person concerned was to stay outside the EU for an uninterrupted period of at least 12 months
- The goods have been under the ownership of the immigrant or in his or her possession under conditions leading to ownership, outside the EU for 6 months. In the case of non-consumable goods, the goods must also have been in his or her use at the previous permanent place of residence for at least 6 months before the date on which he or she ceased to be permanently resident in the country concerned outside the EU. In justified special cases, if applied for in advance, the National Board of Customs may grant exceptions to the time limit
- The goods are intended for the same use at the new permanent place of residence
- Relief from customs duty is granted only for removal goods declared to Customs for release for free circulation within 12 months from the removal date. The goods may be imported in several consignments within the period of 12 months. In justified special cases, if applied for, the National Board of Customs may grant exceptions to the time limit. See section 5 for the conditions and time limits regarding reduction of car tax.
- The goods may not be lent, given as security, hired out or otherwise transferred to another person, whether for a consideration or free of charge, until 12 months after the date on which their entry for free circulation was accepted. If the immigrant is about to do one of these actions, the Customs District concerned must immediately be informed.
For latest information see Finnish Customs :
Importation of Personal and Household Effects, Removal Goods, Gifts, and more
Importation of Motor Vehicles to Finland
Importation of Vehicles, General: A vehicle intended for registration in Finland can be used temporarily free of tax if a declaration of use has been submitted to the Finnish Tax Administration prior to taking the vehicle into use in Finland. In such cases, the car tax declaration must be submitted within 5 days of the confirmation of the declaration of use. The declaration of use confirmed by the Tax Administration must be kept in the vehicle when the vehicle is used.
The Finnish Tax Administration's Car Tax section provides details on taxation and use of vehicles. The guide deals with importation of new and used passenger cars, delivery vans and motorcycles into Finland from EU countries as well as from outside the EU. Sections include:
- Car tax FAQ's
- Declaration of use
- Car tax relief
- Taxation of new vehicles
- How to import a used vehicle
- Temporary tax-free use
Car Tax: vero.fi
- Vehicle Inspection, Registration and Taxation
- Standard Finnish Contract for Sale of Used Car - PDFTemplates: Finnish English
- Motor Vehicle Insurance
- Finnish Customs Authority
Importation of Pets to Finland
Please note that animal import regulations change often, and sometimes at very short notice! Always consult the relevant authorities directly for current regulations!
Animal import regulations vary according to species and country of origin. In general, animal imports from EU countries are subject to different import requirements from countries outside the EU, and pets travelling alone are subject to different regulations than pets travelling with their owners.
The number of pets that may be brought to Finland is currently restricted to five.
Holidays With Pets
Generally animals transported from one country to another must bear identification and have a pet passport and a veterinary health certificate showing that they have a valid anti-rabies vaccination and other required health information. Dogs require an anti-echinococcus treatment. Identification can take the form of a microchip or clearly readable tattoo, but regulations apply as to whether tattoos are acceptable. Time restrictions apply to the validity of certificates and vaccinations. In movement between EU countries the pet passport functions as the health certificate. From non-EU countries where the rabies risk is particularly high a certificate of a test showing the efficacy of the anti-rabies vaccination is also required.
Check at Ruokavirasto, below, for latest regulations.
- Ruokavirasto: Pet Import Helpline: +358 (0)29 530 0401 , Mon-Wed 9:00 am -11:00 am, or email
The helpline answers questions concerning import requirements for pets from EU countries, Norway and Switzerland
- Ruokavirasto - Finnish Food Authority: www.ruokavirasto.fi > Import & Export > Animals All countries
- Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry: www.mmm.fi > Animals & Plants
International Pet Transportation
Travelcargo - Pet Express is the oldest company in Finland handling Animal Logistics, and an accredited member of IPATA, the International Pet and Animal Transportation Association.
- Air freight service for pet animals worldwide
- Customs clearance
- Advice on animal import and export regulations
- Import customs clearance and delivery to your new home at destination
- Suitable transportation containers (plastic) or custom-made containers for larger animals (wooden)
- Guidance and help through the process
- See some happy passengers at facebook.com/PetExpressFinland
Head Office: Manttaalitie 8, 01530 Vantaa, Finland Map
Web: www.travelcargo.fi Site in English, Finnish
Tel: local 020 7856 660 int'l +358 20 7856 660
Links to other sites are direct to the relevant page, where possible
Tap the Share button
Tap Add to Home Screen
Name the shortcut, tap Add
Tap the Menu button
Tap Add to Home Screen
Name the shortcut, tap Submit