Relocating to Finland: Relocation Services
Relocating abroad is a challenge with benefits. You may become bilingual, you will almost certainly grow more adaptable, and you will build contacts on an international level. This article will be of interest to people relocating to Finland on a global assignment:
YLE News article, 24.01.2015 Relocated Foreign Executives Happy with Services in Finland:
Finland Relocation Services surveyed 53 foreign executives and experts relocated to Finland. Respondents were generally positive. They praised the support of public authorities and appreciated Finland's public services. They found Finns friendly, honest and efficient, they felt accepted in Finland and were able to get by easily in English. On the downside were low income, high taxes and - for those who tried - the Finnish language.
See also: Finnish culture and cross-culture
Services can include:
- assistance with residence permits, visas and long-term stay permissions
- arranging necessary documents and registrations with local authorities
- finding a new house or accommodation
- finding a school for children
- finding a job for the partner or "trailing spouse"
- informing about social security, for example healthcare & childcare
- arranging Finnish &/or other language training for the family
- introducing fresh expats to the Finnish culture and customs
- helping set up banking / financial services
- providing guidance on import regulations and excise
Relocation services generally contact new employees before they are due to move, chart their needs, and create a plan for settling them in Finland quickly and smoothly.
These relocation companies are all well established with good reputations, effectively providing the above-mentioned services:
- Alfa Quality Moving & Relocation: Founded in 1995, AQM assists with all practicalities associated with a foreign assignment. They provide immigration / visa, work / residence permit, pre-arrival, post-arrival and departure relocation services including third country assignments. Additional services include international moving and secure storage. AQM has offices throughout Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark, and partners with quality global mobility providers worldwide. AQM is a leader in the Nordic countries for Relocation Services.
Tel: +358 20 7931 100
Helsinki Office: Henry Fordin Katu 5 C, 00150 Helsinki Map
Web: www.alfamoving.com Site in English
- Return Ticket: Established in 1997, Return Ticket's expertise in personnel internationalisation helps companies, employees and families make assignments in Finland a success. Tailored relocation packages are available in eight modules: Pre-arrival (ex. visas/residence permits/applications), Home Search & Setup, Daycare / preschool / schooling, Settling in, Spouse support (Education, CV, opportunities, employment), Practical advice, Culture training, and Language training.Each module is independent and can be ordered separately.
Contact: Marja Saviaro
Tel: +358 40 703 2535
Helsinki Office: Liljasaarentie 3, 00340 Helsinki Map
Web: www.returnticket.fi Site in English, Finnish
- Finland Relocation Services: In 1994 FRS became Finland's first specialist relocation service. FRS facilitates effective international mobility with relocation and residence permit services, and additional services such as cultural training, for moves to or from Finland. With its international partners FRS can provide relocation services between third countries. FRS aims to increase productivity, reduce stress, improve staff retention and enhance company image. FRS has an informative blog, and offices in Helsinki / Espoo, Tampere, Salo, Oulu and Jyväskylä.
Tel: +358 9 502 1220
Head Office: Westendintie 99-101 A 29, 02160 Espoo Map
Web: finlandrelocation.com Site in English, Finnish
- Forenom: Forenom's tailor-made corporate mobility and relocation services include immigration arrangements, locating and organising a home, guidance on local customs and services, and assistance for spouses and families. Services are backed by Forenom's extensive experience in the Finnish real estate market as well as Human Resources experience drawn from Forenom's parent company, Barona Group. Forenom's relocation services can be tied to international recruiting in collaboration with Barona.
Contact: Johanna Larsson
Tel: +358 50 536 9091
Head Office: Mannerheimintie 113, 00280 Helsinki Map
Web: forenom.com Site in English, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Russian, Swedish
In To Finland
By no means a relocation service as described above, In To Finland nevertheless provides certain relocation-related services useful for some clients. In To Finland is a shared service point of the Social Insurance Institution of Finland Kela and the Finnish Tax Administration, and provides advice and assistance for:
- entrepreneurs and students moving to Finland from other countries
- agencies and companies in Finland who are hiring or bringing in employees from outside the country
- people moving to Finland to work
At the In To Finland service point in Helsinki you can for example apply for a tax card and the worker-specific tax number required in the construction industry. Or, people coming to work in Finland temporarily can obtain a Finnish personal identification number without having to visit the local register office.
In To Finland: www.kela.fi/web/en/in-to-service-point-for-those-coming-to-work-in-finland
Address: Salomonkatu 17, doorway A, 2nd storey, 00100 Helsinki
Opening hours: Monday to Friday 09:00–12:00 and 13:00–16:00
Kela can also be contacted by individual and institutional clients with questions about moving to or from Finland:
Hours: Monday to Friday 09:00-17:00
Tel: 020 634 0200 for service in Finnish or English
Tel: 020 634 0300 for service in Swedish
- Furnished Apartments in Finland: Medium- to long-term rentals of furnished apartments in Helsinki and throughout Finland