HomeMoving to FinlandStudying in Finland

Come to Study in Finland!

Learning is well respected in Finland, and the high standard of education is one of the cornerstones of Finnish culture. For foreign students, studying and training in Finland is a perfect way to acquire academic and professional experience as well as personal growth through living in one of the world's most peaceful, sustainable, and innovative countries. A great place for independent thinkers! Finland is a safe country where things work and nature is always close by.

Finnish educational institutions cooperate extensively with their counterparts in many countries, so there are lots of ways for you to come to study in Finland. This page provides a good starting point.

If you are already in Finland, see also:

Study In Finland, Study Programmes

There are two sites which will tell you all you need to know:

Study In Finland is the site to start at if you'd like to do a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in Finland. It lists all the Universities and Universities of Applied Sciences, including English-taught study programmes available, and links to the institutions' homepages. Study in Finland also includes information on:

The Finnish National Agency for Education promotes international cooperation and mobility with emphasis on education, training, employment and young people. They implement and administer exchange and trainee programmes and award scholarships for students, researchers and teachers.
Student scholarships are mainly intended for postgraduates who have completed a master’s degree.
Visit www.oph.fi to learn more.

Admission to Higher Education Institutions

Universities and Universities of Applied Sciences (UAS) independently select their students. Applications to degree programmes can be made directly to individual universities or via joint application, which allows you to apply to up to 6 programmes with one application form.

The following links will inform you about:

StudyInfo: opintopolku.fi
Study In Finland: studyinfinland.fi

Finnish Universities - Admissions Pages

Erasmus & Other Exchange Programmes

For all programmes, your best first step is to contact the International Office of your home institution for information about the possibilities available.

Erasmus Programme
More than 7000 foreign exchange students annually come to Finland via the Erasmus exchange programme to spend a semester, or a whole academic year, at a Finnish Higher Education Institution. The Erasmus exchange is targeted at European students who are studying for a degree programme at a higher education institution in Europe, and have completed at least one academic year of studies. The students receive a grant for the studies abroad from their home institution.
See Erasmus+ Programme at oph.fi

Other programmes operating in Finland include the Artist Protection Programme, FIRST+, HEIICI, Nordic Master, and Scholar Rescue Fund
See Higher Education Cooperation at oph.fi

Financial Aid for Foreign Students

Summary only. Source: Kela, January 2019
If you are not a Finnish citizen and have come to Finland for study purposes, the general rule is that you cannot get financial aid from Finland. However, you may qualify for financial aid:

If you are a citizen of another EU or EEA or of Switzerland, you can get financial aid even if you have come to Finland to study. This requires that:

Visit Kela for current information and application procedures: www.kela.fi/students
Eligibility: www.kela.fi/financial-aid-for-students-eligibility

Safari: Add to Home Screen

Tap the Share button
Tap Add to Home Screen
Name the shortcut, tap Add
Chrome: Add to Home Screen

Tap the Menu button
Tap Add to Home Screen
Name the shortcut, tap Submit