TV Online - Internet Television - IPTV
- Jump Down to:
- IPTV in Finland
- Subscriber Internet TV
- Finnish Internet TV Channels
- YouTube TV
- World News Channels
- Related Links
Internet television and Internet Protocol television (IPTV) deliver live, catch-up and on-demand TV via a network such as the Internet or a LAN instead of traditional terrestrial, satellite or cable signals. These rapidly expanding media sectors will probably replace traditional TV 'channels'. Finland started using this media almost 15 years ago but it wasn't great because internet transmission speeds were too low for smooth video delivery, and most people could only view it on a computer connected to the Internet - to watch IPTV on a 'regular' television you need to connect a streaming device.
There are now numerous streaming devices available, as well as 'smart TVs' with integrated Internet. Additionally, broadband access is guaranteed Finland-wide. As such, Internet television / IPTV have become thoroughly usable and provide a visual feast!
The popularity of IPTV is growing rapidly in Finland, though Cable / Pay TV packages also remain prominent.
Packages in the Finnish IPTV market include:
- Elisa Viihde: www.elisa.fi/viihde/
Numerous equipment and entertainment packages you can watch through your set-top box, tablet or smartphone.
You can now watch Netflix through Elisa's set-top box!
Sales: 0800 464646
Customer Service in English: 010 190 262 Mon-Fri 08:00-19:00, Sat 10:00-16:30
- Maxivision Viihde: www.maxivision.fi Finnish only
- Telia TV: www.telia.fi Telia has advised that visitors to Expat Finland do not fit their marketing profile
Foreign residents in Finland have encountered obstacles with certain Finnish telecoms. For example, in 2016 Telia (formerly Sonera) published a short-lived 'Finns Only' policy for purchase of mobile devices by instalments. The Non-Discrimination Ombudsman indicated such a sales policy appeared to contravene Finland’s anti-discrimination laws. Source: Yle News
Some services which deliver films & TV over the internet to your streaming device, or to your TV via a streaming device, are gaining in popularity. See the following sites for details of program catalogues and system requirements:
- Netflix: www.netflix.fi Netflix has "thousands of films and TV episodes", for about €8 per month
- HBO Nordic: www.fi.hbonordic.com Most of the HBO series as well as other programming streamed to your computer, tablet or smartphone for about €10 per month
All the main Finnish broadcasters now provide comprehensive 'netti-tv' services for their main channels as well as their sister channels. They are completely free, and quite simple to use even if your Finnish is limited. It's possible the first time you use them you will be told you need to download a free plug-in such as Microsoft Silverlight if it's not already on your system. See the FAQ's after this list for more information.
- Areena: YLE TV1 & Sister channels www.areena.yle.fi/tv
- Katsomo: MTV3 & Sister channels www.katsomo.fi
- Ruutu: Nelonen & Sister channels www.ruutu.fi
- TV5: TV Viisi & Sister channels m.tv5.fi
See Also Finnish Newspapers with Video:
- Ilta-Sanomat: www.is.fi > IS TV
- Iltalehti www.iltalehti.fi > IL-TV
Are there only Finnish programs available?
No, there are also foreign programs in their original languages. Due to copyright / intellectual property rights, locally produced programs are often allowed to remain online longer, so the available shows are predominantly Finnish.
How long are programs available?
Some programs may only be available for 7 days after initial broadcast, for others it may be 30 days. It depends on copyright and the rights purchased by the channel.
Can programs be seen abroad?
Some programs are available abroad. Again, it depends on the channel and the program's intellectual property rights.
I don't speak Finnish - can I use netti-tv?
You can certainly try!
1) Click Kaikki Ohjelmat, which means All Programs, at the above sites - It's quite possible you'll recognise some shows on the list or
2) Here are some words you can search in the site's 'Haku' box:
- Elokuva - Movie
- Sarjat - Series
- Dokumentit - Documentaries
- Urheilu - Sports
- Viihde - Entertainment
- Lastenohjelmat - Children's programs
- Ajankohtaisohjelmat - Current Affairs
- Komedia - Comedies
- Draama - Drama
- Uutiset - News
- Kulttuuri - Culture
- Taide - Arts
- Reality, tosi-tv - Reality TV
- Kotimaiset - Finnish
- Ulkomaiset - Foreign
YouTube is of course not a TV channel. However, it's mentioned here because people missing shows from their home countries will be pleased to find an increasing amount of foreign TV showing up on YouTube - not just 2 or 3 minute clips but complete episodes of TV shows, and movies too! So if there is something in particular you've been missing have a search at YouTube; you may be surprised.
Top Tip: In your YouTube search add the term full episode or full version. Also, when searching use the Filter Long (20~ minutes)
Numerous free, live online news channels are available in many languages, including English, Arabic, German, French, Russian and Iranian. Check the following links for other language options.
- Al Jazeera in Arabic: aljazeera.net/broadcastschedule
- Al Jazeera in English: aljazeera.com/live/
- Bloomberg Business & Financial News: bloomberg.com/live/europe
- Deutsche Welle, multi-language: dw.com/en/media-center/live-tv/s-100825
- EuroNews Live, English: euronews.com/live
- France 24, English: france24.com/en/livefeed
- Press TV, Iranian news: presstv.com/Default/Live
- RT, Russian news, English: rt.com/on-air/
- Viestintävirasto: Finnish Communications Regulatory Authority
The Viestintävirasto site provides detailed technical, legal and consumer information about all forms of regulated communications in Finland. The main sections of interest are Internet & Telephone, TV & Radio, Post, and Information Security.
- Internet & Telephone section: Acquisition, use, availability and functionality of telephone and broadband services. Includes .fi domain name info.
- TV & Radio section: Operations and networks, receiving TV broadcasts, radio programmes
- www.viestintavirasto.fi En, Fi, Sw