Rental Cars & Other Vehicles, Car Sharing in Finland
Car rental in Finland - Introduction
Conditions and charges vary from company to company; always check the details before making a rental agreement. Complaints in Finland are few, and usually about "unexpected" charges which were shown in the contract.
Things to consider :
- Minimum age: Check the minimum age for a driver
- Experience: Check whether drivers must have been licenced for a minimum number of years
- Young drivers: Check if additional fees apply for drivers under a certain age
- Additional drivers: Check whether a charge applies for additional drivers
- Insurance: Understand the full cost, and what it actually covers
- Fuel and mileage: Understand the costs and your refuelling responsibilities
- Credit card: You will almost certainly need a credit card, even if it is not used for payment
- Foreign licence: Check that your licence is accepted by the rental company when making the agreement
See also Driving in Finland for road rules, traffic signs, additional foreign licence information
- See Driving Tips & FAQ's for special considerations about driving in Finland, including a moose warning!
Chinese Driving Licences:
The Finnish Government plans to allow visitors with Chinese licenses to drive on Finnish roads - not allowed now because China is not a signatory to the Vienna Convention. Apart from being able to drive, this means Chinese tourists will also be able to rent, for example, snowmobiles in Lapland.
Update 09.11.17: Trafi advises "An exact date has not been decided yet, but the negotiation is on and it will happen some time in 2018."
This page refers to rental car companies and brokers in Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa, Hämeenlinna, Joensuu, Jyväskylä, Kajaani, Kotka, Kuopio, Lahti, Lappeenranta, Mikkeli, Oulu, Pori, Rauma, Riihimäki, Rovaniemi, Savonlinna, Seinäjoki, Tampere, Turku, Vaasa and more
Car Rental Companies versus Car Rental Brokers
The basic difference is that car rental companies have their own vehicles, while car rental brokers do not. Brokers work with multiple car rental companies, who act as suppliers. Searching a broker's site therefore provides more choice than the offerings from a single rental company. Additionally, because brokers rent a large volume of vehicles from the suppliers, they receive better rates than an individual customer. They can therefore 're-rent' those same vehicles to customers at competitive rates - sometimes for less than renting directly from the car rental company. Vehicle availability data at reputable brokers' sites is updated from suppliers in real-time, so your search results should be accurate.
Car Rental Brokers
Rhino Car Hire: Rhino offers rentals at over 50,000 locations worldwide, working with reputable car hire companies such as Avis, Budget, Europcar and Hertz in Finland so you can search a wide range of options and book the best offer. Rhino's 'booking engines' are available in English and over 20 other languages, with a currency converter, making it easy to book your rental in Finland or abroad.
Rhino has a reputation of Great at Trustpilot with customers reporting fast, helpful service. Rhino's Car Hire & Travel Blog includes car hire matters such as speeding tickets and parking fines.
5% Rhino Discount for Expat Finland readers! Holiday season 2017-2018
Rhino Car Hire is offering an exclusive worldwide 5% discount to Expat Finland readers, which can be combined with any other Rhino site offer to a maximum of 10%. To receive the discount, bookings must be made at
Rantapallo: Rantapallo's car hire search Includes details and offers from all the major reputable car rental companies operating in Finland and abroad, such as Avis, Budget, Europcar, and Hertz. You can search for and book the best offers not only within Finland but also abroad.
Rantapallo has a strong reputation and is Finland's most-visited travel-focused media - you can also search for flights, hotels, cruises, packages, late deals and more.
Car Hire Companies
These companies have physical locations in Finland. They are predominantly car hire companies although some offer vans, mini-buses and other vehicle types. Cars can often be delivered to a pick-up point specified in the reservation, or picked up at one location and dropped off at another. Bookings can usually be made online or by phone.
- Auto Alex: www.autoalex.fi Helsinki - En, Fi, Ru
- Avis: www.avis.fi - En, Fi, Ru
- Budget: www.budget.fi - En, Fi
- Europcar: www.europcar.fi - Fi
- FiRent: www.firent.fi - En, Fi, Ru
- Green Motion: www.greenmotion.fi - En, Fi
- Hertz: www.hertz.fi - En, Fi
- Lacara: www.lacara.net Helsinki - En, Fi
- Scandia Rent: www.scandiarent.fi - En, Fi, Ge, Ru, Sw
- Sixt: www.sixt.fi - En, Fi
This section lists companies offering specialised vehicles such as motor homes and limousines, though they may also offer standard car rentals.
- Limousine Service: www.limousineservice.fi Chauffeur-driven vehicles and limousines - En, Fi
- Lacara Limousine: www.lacara.net Chauffeur-driven executive sedans - En, Fi
- Touring Cars: www.touringcars.eu Camper van, motor home, mobile home rentals - En, Fi
Pick-up and drop-off in Helsinki, Rovaniemi, Stockholm, Oslo and Reykjavik
City Car Club (CCC) is a car sharing service which began operating in the Helsinki region since 1999. With small city cars, family cars and even minibuses and vans available 24/7, and over 100 pick-up points, car sharing can be an economical and easy solution for people who need a car just a few times a week, or companies looking for an environmentally friendly transport solution. The City of Helsinki provides various benefits to CCC, such as parking, and HSL Transport deals. CCC has received numerous environmental awards.
City Car Club www.citycarclub.fi - Fi, En
- Maps of Helsinki: Helsinki maps. Searchable, printable. More 'local knowledge' than Google Maps but slightly harder to use!
- Google Maps: Maps worldwide
- Finnish Transport Agency: Up to date road and traffic conditions, roadworks info.& more
- Driving in Finland: Expat Finland's page on foreign driving licences, road rules, traffic signs & more
- Driving Tips & FAQ's: Special tips for driving in Finland
- Sunrise & Sunset: Click your city for sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times
- ViaMichelin: Europe-wide route planner, maps, tourist information, hotels and restaurants