Finnish Travel Guides
- Jump Down to:
- Guided Day Trips
- Outdoors & National Parks
- Berry & Mushroom Picking
- Cycle Touring page
- Accommodation page
Apart from the guides listed here, check the Events & Happenings page which includes events calendars for Finland sorted by activity and location; perhaps the Savonlinna Opera Festival or the Wife Carrying World Championships will change your travel plans entirely!
Norman Travels: Feel the Nordic way of life! Norman Travels offers guided day trips from Helsinki to hand-picked, off-the-beaten-track locations, giving you authentic experiences not otherwise easily accessible. Hiking and canoeing in a national park, sailing in the beautiful archipelago, bathing in a genuine Finnish sauna followed by a dip in a pristine lake, or visiting a remote lighthouse island - Norman Travels caters to travellers seeking the genuine Nordic way of life. All trips offer convenient pickup from one of 4 easily accessible points in central Helsinki. Site and booking in English.
- Sailing in Turku Archipelago
- Visit Bengtskär Lighthouse
- Finnish Sauna in the Nature
- Hiking & Canoeing in National Park
Facebook: Norman Travels
VisitFinland is the Official Travel Site of Finland by the Finnish Tourist Board. The unusual breakdown of this site will not only help you find the particular information you may have come for, but also lead you to travel ideas you may not have thought of - but which will be relevant and eye-opening. For example you can check
- Destinations (Lapland, Lakeland, Helsinki, Coastal areas & Archipelago)
- Experiences ('Relax', 'Go Wild', 'Live Culture', & 'Stopover')
- Seasons (Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter)
Each page of VisitFinland contains well written and presented articles, with numerous links to related organisations, authorities and sites. The only problem with this site is you may end up spending a lot more time here than you'd planned, as you investigate the new ideas presented to you! For example, typing cycling in the search box has led me to a four day bike trip through the archipelago, including accommodation, sauna, breakfast and dinner, bicycle and bicycle bag rental, route maps, ferry tickets......
VisitFinland.com: www.visitfinland.com - In ten languages
Finnish Forest Facts
- At 75% of land coverage, Finland has the highest percentage of forest in Europe
- There are nearly 4.5 hectares of forest per Finn
- Despite the importance of the forestry industry in Finland, private companies own only 10% of Finland's forests. Private individuals own 60%, and 30% - some 12 million hectares - are owned by the public/state (2014 figures)
- The amount of timber in Finnish forests increases every year; annual felling is consistently less than growth. There is now 1.5 times as much timber in Finnish forests than in the 1970's
This site is run by the Finnish Forestry Administration, Metsähallitus. It provides a wealth of information for anyone interested in outdoor activities in Finland. The site includes
- Activities: Search Finland-wide for places to go for particular activities, such as bird watching, canoeing or rowing, cycling, fishing, horseback riding, rock or ice climbing, sailing or motor boating, wilderness trekking, skiing cross-country, or hiking on or off trails
- Destinations: National parks, heritage sites, wilderness areas and more, with advice on outdoors activities which can be enjoyed in each location
- Huts and Accommodation: Includes directory of 'wilderness huts' throughout Finland which can be used by hikers. Some are open and free, some can be reserved for a fee
- Hiking: A directory of hiking destinations throughout Finland, with information about sites and trails, what to take, facilities etc.
- Public Transport: Destinations accessible by public transport
- Nationalparks.fi: www.nationalparks.fi - In seven languages
Berry and Mushroom Picking
The Arctic Flavours Association has information about Finnish berries, herbs and mushrooms - what they look like, how to pick them, where they can be found, which ones are poisonous, and your 'Everyman's Right' to gather them. Recipes are also provided, including Dandelion Leaf Pesto and Nettle Soup!
Arktiset Aromit : www.arktisetaromit.fi - In ten languages
- Travel Agencies: Travel agencies in Finland offering everything from flights, hotels or car hire, to complete packages and itineraries
- Excursionmap.fi: Search Metsähallitus' maps of hunting, fishing and hiking destinations
- Archipelago Booking of Finland: Online booking of cottages, accommodation, excursions, boat rental and fishing packages throughout the archipelago - En, Fi, Ge, Ru, Sw
- Finnish Transport Agency: Transport information and road, traffic & weather conditions in Finland, as well as transport information for Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Germany