Finnish & Swedish Language Courses
Jump Down to:
- Studying at Finnish Universities
- Finnish and Swedish Language Schools/Courses
- Online Finnish Language Training
- Additional Information
Finnish is not an easy language, but courses for foreigners are widely available. Whether you'd like to attend a summer university course, or stay home and learn Finnish online - or both! - this page should help.
Universities offer courses in Finnish and Swedish for international students. Some courses are open for those who are not enrolled as students in the particular university. Courses range from beginners' level to advanced, some progress at an 'easy' rate while others are intensive. Only brief introductions are provided here. For details of available courses, dates, prerequisite skills etcetera, visit the site of the institution you would like to learn more about.
- Aalto University Language Centre www.kielikeskus.aalto.fi/en/
Phone 050 522 4705, Address Rakentajanaukio 2 D, Espoo
- Helsinki University Language Services www.helsinki.fi/kksc/language.services/english/
Open Mon-Fri 10-15, Phone (09) 191 23234, Address Vuorikatu 5 A, 3rd floor, Helsinki
- University of Eastern Finland www.uef.fi > International Cooperation > Information for International Scholars > Finnish language courses
Campuses in Joensuu, Kuopi and Savonlinna. Contact the university regarding Finnish language courses
- University of Jyväskylä Language Centre www.kielikeskus.jyu.fi
Open Mon-Fri 8.16, Phone (014) 260 1211, Address Main Campus, Seminaarinmäki,Building O
- University of Oulu Language Centre www.oulu.fi/kielikoulutus/
Phone 0294 480 000, Address Pentti Kaiteran katu 1, Linnanmaa
- University of Tampere Language Centre www.uta.fi/kielikeskus/
Phone (03) 355 111, Address Kalevantie 4, Tampere
- University of Turku Language Centre www.kielikeskus.utu.fi/en/
Phone (02) 333 5975, Address Horttokuja 2, Turku
- University of Vaasa Language Centre www.uva.fi/en/ > About Us > Organisation > Faculties and Departments > Language Centre
Phone (29) 449 8000, Address Wolffintie 34, Vaasa
- Finnish Langauge Course Search www.finnishcourses.fi
Search for Finnish or Swedish language courses in Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa, Kauniainen or Tampere, according to your starting level and other criteria. This service from Infopankki is expanding to include more cities, so check to see whether more cities are included than those listed here!
- Onnenkieli Suggestopedic Language Courses www.onnenkieli.fi
Onnenkieli Oy, located in Tampere, uses the suggestopedic system to quickly teach people to speak Finnish. The unemployment office will pay for the course if a person is about to set up a company or get a good job as soon as he/she learns Finnish. Check site for details of courses and programmes: current courses include Finnish for Immigrant Workers and Finnish for Job Seekers
Phone (03) 2559 808, Address Hatanpään valtatie 34 D, 33100 Tampere
Finnish Folk High School Association www.kansanopistot.fi > In English > Folk High Schools
A folk high school is an educational institution offering a broad range of education for adults. As residential schools, folk high schools foster a sense of community, which forms part of the all-round learning experience and functions as a cornerstone of the education process. Check the site for a listing of schools and the courses offered
Language Training for Businesses
- Josbel Oy josbel.com
Since 1983 Josbel has specialised in corporate language training, translation services and cross-cultural education. Language courses are available in Finnish, English, Swedish, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Polish, Norwegian, Danish and Swedish. I am proud to have been a trainer for Josbel in the mid-90's, and thoroughly enjoyed working with major government and corporate clients
Free Online Training
If you don't have the time or inclination to attend a course, there are online Finnish tutorials. The following are all free, well put together, and genuinely helpful. Most sites have audio so you can practise pronunciation as well.
- Puhutaan suomea: A magazine for those studying the Finnish language, offering articles on different difficulty levels, with words explained, covering various topics about Finland, the Finnish society and the Finnish language. It also provides audio for selected articles, to facilitate the learning process for those not living in Finland.
- Uuno: Now with 2 versions, Uuno1 & Uuno2: Basic Finnish lessons in a fun format! Flash with audio. A very nice project started in 2001 and updated in 2006 & 2010. Thanks!
- Helsinki Uni. Language Centre: A great, practical, free course including photos and audio
- Finnish School: Free vocabulary program - requires registration. I've never signed up for this but I should because 1) my Finnish is awful, and 2) I believe this is a 'product' from Phil Schwarzmann, who's a pretty funny guy
- Finnish Grammar: Grammar for novice Finnish speakers
TILA provides live online Finnish and English lessons to individuals and small groups. Online learning in your own home or office can be fun and relaxing, and it's easy to find a suitable time when there are only a couple of students attending lessons. TILA Communications also provides translation services from English into Finnish and from Finnish into English.
Contact Tiina Lanas.
Authorised translator, Certified
live online trainer
Phone +358 (0)44 263 7551
- The Fun Look at the Finnish Language page provides some exceptionally useful Finnish phrases if you feel you are advanced enough!
- Finnish Summer Universities: Each year, for an extended season in summer, 20 universities throughout Finland collaborate to provide an extensive range of Finnish language courses. Check site for curent info and details of plans for the next season.