Finnish & Swedish Language Courses
Jump Down to:
- Studying at Finnish Universities
- Finnish and Swedish Language Schools/Courses
- Free Finnish Lessons on the Web
- See also: Finnish > English > Finnish Dictionary
- See Also
Finnish isn't easy but language training is widely available whether you'd like to be a full-time student, complete a summer university course, or study online. The increasing availability of online courses should be of particular interest to people planning to move to Finland; Finnish language is commonly cited as the greatest difficulty for foreigners when looking for work as well as in the workplace. Studying online allows people to learn the language prior to arriving in Finland.
Universities offer courses in Finnish and Swedish for their international staff and students. Some universities also open their courses to those who are not working or studying at the university. Courses range from beginners' level to advanced, some progress at an 'easy' rate while others are intensive. For details of courses, eligibility to enrol, dates, prerequisite skills etcetera, visit the site of the institution you would like to learn more about.
- Aalto University Language Centre www.languagecentre.aalto.fi/en/
Phone 050 522 4705, Address Otakaari 1, Espoo, M wing, 3rd floor
- Helsinki University Language Services www.helsinki.fi/kksc/language.services/english/
Open Mon-Fri 10-15, Phone (09) 191 23234, Address Vuorikatu 5 A, 3rd floor, Helsinki
- University of Eastern Finland www.uef.fi/kielikeskus/ > Education > Finnish as a Second Language > Our Finnish Courses
Campuses in Joensuu, Kuopio and Savonlinna. Contact the university regarding Finnish language courses
- University of Jyväskylä Language Centre https://kielikeskus.jyu.fi/en
Open Mon-Fri 8.16, Phone (014) 260 1211, Address Main Campus, Seminaarinmäki,Building O
- University of Oulu Language Centre www.oulu.fi/kielikoulutus/ > Finnish for Exchange Students
Phone 0294 480 000, Address Pentti Kaiteran katu 1, Linnanmaa
- University of Tampere Language Centre www.uta.fi/english/ > Language Centre
Phone (03) 355 111, Address Kalevantie 4, Tampere
- University of Turku Language Centre www.kielikeskus.utu.fi/en/
Phone (02) 333 5975, Address Horttokuja 2, Turku
- University of Vaasa Language Centre www.uva.fi/en/ > About Us > Organisation > Faculties and Departments > Language Centre
Phone (29) 449 8000, Address Wolffintie 34, Vaasa
- Finnish Language Course Search www.finnishcourses.fi
Search for Finnish or Swedish language courses in Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa, Kauniainen or Tampere, according to your starting level and other criteria. This service from Infopankki is expanding to include more cities, so check to see whether more cities are included than those listed here!
- Onnenkieli Suggestopedic Language Courses www.onnenkieli.fi
Onnenkieli Oy, located in Tampere, uses the suggestopedic system to quickly teach people to speak Finnish. The unemployment office will pay for the course if a person is about to set up a company or get a good job as soon as he/she learns Finnish. Check site for details of courses and programmes: current courses include Finnish for Immigrant Workers and Finnish for Job Seekers
Phone (03) 2559 808, Address Hatanpään valtatie 34 D, 33100 Tampere
Language Training for Businesses
- Josbel Oy josbel.com
Since 1983 Josbel has specialised in corporate language training, translation services and cross-cultural education. Language courses are available in Finnish, English, Swedish, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Polish, Norwegian, Danish and Swedish. I am proud to have been a trainer for Josbel in the mid-90's, and thoroughly enjoyed working with major government and corporate clients
If you don't have the time or inclination to attend a course, there are online Finnish tutorials. The following are all free, well put together, and genuinely helpful. Most sites have audio so you can practise pronunciation as well.
- Hei Finland: 100 Finnish phrases in your pocket! These are not Finnish lessons per se, but useful phrases sorted by theme and subject, provided in text and audio. The site is available in English and French, with a mobile version and a free iPhone app.
- Puhutaan suomea: A magazine for those studying the Finnish language, offering articles on different difficulty levels, with words explained, covering various topics about Finland, the Finnish society and the Finnish language. It also provides audio for selected articles, to facilitate the learning process for those not living in Finland.
- Speak Finnish!: A wide range of materials to help you learn Finnish. Pick up some basic phrases, expand your vocabulary, or discuss language questions in the forums. Most excellently, Speak Finnish! also helps you find 'language partners' to practise your Finnish with.
- Uuno: Now with 2 versions, Uuno1 & Uuno2: Basic Finnish lessons in a fun format! Flash with audio. A very nice project started in 2001 and updated in 2006 & 2010. Thanks!
- Helsinki Uni. Language Centre: A great, practical, free course including photos and audio
- Finnish Grammar: Grammar "Dedicated to novice Finnish speakers everywhere!"
- Finnish Summer Universities: Each year, for an extended season in summer, 20 universities throughout Finland collaborate to provide an extensive range of Finnish language courses. Check site for curent info and details of plans for the next season. Seasonal details will also be published on this page.
- A Fun Look at the Finnish Language provides some interesting Finnish phrases if you feel you are advanced enough!