Emergency Accommodation; Temporary Housing in Finland
There are organisations which can arrange temporary residence or services for the homeless, or people in crisis.
This page refers to emergency accommodation in Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa, Hämeenlinna, Joensuu, Jyväskylä, Kajaani, Kotka, Kuopio, Lahti, Lappeenranta, Mikkeli, Oulu, Pori, Rauma, Riihimäki, Rovaniemi, Savonlinna, Seinäjoki, Tampere, Turku, Vaasa
- Helsinki Deaconess Institute - Helsingin Diakonissalaitos (Finnish, English, Swedish)
Telephone: (09) 77 501
Address: Alppikatu 2, 00530 Helsinki
The Helsinki Deaconess Institute provides social and health-care services, educational programmes, and housing services for people of all ages and situations in the Helsinki metropolitan area. The following organisations are some of those falling under the umbrella of the Deaconess Institute. To contact them visit the main site or use the contact details above.
- Assisted-Living Unit Alppitupa
For elderly people with substance abuse problems in Helsinki
- Homeless Women's Support Unit Salli
A comfortable living room and services for homeless women
Some bed-sitters available for AIDS-afflicted persons
- Accommodation Units for Women
For long-term homeless women
- Residential Community Alppikulma
Single-person dwellings for homeless men and women
- Please call (09) 77 501, for further information about services available for children, families, immigrants and more
- Assisted-Living Unit Alppitupa
- The Federation of Mother and Child Homes and Shelters (English/Finnish/Swedish)
Offers homes, shelters and services Finland-wide. They aim at supporting parenthood and helping families find their own resources and strengths. A mother may enter a home while pregnant or with her baby, and the father can also stay there if necessary.
Telephone: (09) 4542440
Address: Asemamiehenkatu 4, 00520 Helsinki
Cross (Punainen Risti) > English > Help & Support > Emergency Youth Shelters (English/Finnish/Swedish)
Young people between 12 and 19 are welcome to discuss their problems or worries, and get an overnight bed if needed. You can also call the shelters for information or advice.
Helsinki Tel. 09 622 4322
Espoo Tel. 09 819 55360
Vantaa Tel. 09 871 4043
Tampere Tel. 040 556 6661
Turku Tel. 02 253 9667
- Salvation Army - Pelastusarmeija
The Salvation Army does not offer short-term 'crisis accommodation', but does extensive work with homeless people and helps them locate long-term housing. The site is currently only in Finnish, but other language versions will be available soon. Works well at Google Translate.
To discuss your situation, find your local Salvation Army housing contacts at
Services: www.pelastusarmeija.fi/palvelut > Social help (Sosiaalinen apu) > Housing services (Asumispalveluyksiköt)
- Metropolitan Refuge - Pääkaupungin turvakoti
The shelter provides victims of physical or psychological violence with safe housing, support, and the opportunity to withdraw from the cycle of violence.
The shelter is open 24 hours a day and offers crisis support.
Telephone: (09) 4777 180
Address: Steniuksentie 20, 00320 Helsinki
- Monika – Multicultural Women’s Association - Monika-Naiset Liitto Ry En, Fi
Monika provides specialized services for immigrant women and their children who have been subjected to violence, acts as an expert and advocates in issues related to ethnic non-discrimination and violence, and enhances integration by supporting civil society activities for immigrants.
National Helpline, Mon-Fri 09:00 - 16:00, Tel. (09) 692 2304
Shelter, 24 hours a day 7 days a week, Tel. 045 639 6274
- Infopankki: Infopankki's Accommodation in a crisis situation page provides Finland-wide links to organisations which can help in various types of crises including homelessness, drug & alcohol problems, racism & discrimination, and violence. Assistance is also provided for new parents and youth. Infopankki is available in 12 languages
Infopankki.fi > English > Living in Finland > Housing > Accommodation in a crisis situation
- Social Insurance Institution of Finland - Kela > In English > Our Services: Click the +sign for Contact Information for Customers
- Suomi.fi: Multilingual e-services and downloadable forms from Finnish government agencies and local authorities